Recipe for Pastéis de NataJun 23, 2022
Try this recipe for Pastéis de Nata - Portuguese custard tarts. These are made with puff pastry instead of short-crust pastry, so they're sweet, light & delicious!
We're sure your bebês will have lots of fun adding the custard filling to the tart cases 😋
• 1 large whole ovo (egg)
• 2 large gemas de ovo (egg yolks)
• 115g golden caster açúcar (sugar)
• 2 tbsp farinha de milho (cornflour)
• 400ml full fat leite (milk)
• 2 tsp extrato de baunilha (vanilla extract)
• 1 sheet ready rolled massa folhada (puff pastry)
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ 180ºC (fan)
2. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin
To make the custard filling:
3. Add the whole ovo, the gemas de ovo, the açúcar and farinha de milho into a pan. Mix well.
4. Gradually add the leite until the texture is silky smooth and combined.
5. Place the pan on the hob over a medium heat and stir the mixture continually so it comes to the boil and gradually thickens.
6. Remove the pan from the heat.
7. Stir in the extrato de baunilha.
8. Place the custard into a glass or ceramic bowl & cover with cling film. Leave to cool.
To make the tart case:
9. To ensure the case will be nice and thick, cut the puff pastry sheet in half. Then place one sheet on top of the other.
10. Starting to roll from the shorter side, roll up the pastry into a log.
11. Slice the log into 12 even-sized rounds.
12. Lightly dust a board with flour so that the pastry does not stick.
13. Roll-out each round so that they are around 10 cm in diameter.
14. Press each one into a muffin tin hole.
15. Add the cooled custard into each tart case and place the muffin tin in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tops of the pastéis de nata are golden.
16. Leave them to cool slightly – we love to eat them when they are still warm!
Ready to start exploring languages with your little ones?
Join our Children's Languages Adventure! For a single PayWhatYouCan (£5+) payment, you'll receive lifetime access to 32 multilingual singalong videos & 100+ downloads, plus access to the BB online community.
Designed for 0-7s and their grown ups!
FASCINATED BY LANGUAGES?
SIGN UP TO OUR 'TALKING ABOUT TALKING' NEWSLETTER
We explore the real science behind how young children learn to speak, along with tips for learning languages with your little people and some awesome FREE languages treats!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.